Thursday, July 14, 2011

Your declaration of interdependence

This is a piece for parents of children with intellectual disabilities, but is relevant to all parents.

Your declaration of interdependence

It's written by Caroline McGraw. Caroline is program director at a L'Arche in Washington, DC, and has a younger brother, Willie, who has autism. L'Arche is a non-profit, faith-based organization that creates homes where people with and without intellectual disabilities share life together. Caroline also does motivational coaching and support planning for caregivers and parents.

I thought this piece was relevant given our discussion about mental-health impacts of high-needs parenting. Louise

3 comments:

That's really wonderful -- I hope to re-post this as well. You always find the most inspirational people, Louise! Thank you for sharing with us --

This was interesting, Louise. As a person working through a divorce, I have chosen the "right" to be happy too with my child in tow. But...I know that, as a single parent, it's a long, hard road ahead...money fears are the greatest. I cannot imagine how difficult taking this on would be without help, as I mentioned in your previous post. It's difficult not to be cynical, even if the post is very much right on.

Thank you for your affirmation, Elizabeth! And Claire, I know what you mean ~ I found myself feeling convicted as I wrote the post. I thought, "I believe this so strongly for another person, but do I live it myself?"
Again, thank you for reading!
yours,
Caroline