Friday, December 7, 2012

One question Friday

In comments related to strategies for encouraging speech in your child, one of our readers posted this question:

Q. "Any tips or hope for those of us who have been doing all of the above for years with little result would be great."

A. As a parent who was unable to accept the fact that years and years of speech therapy were not giving my son a voice (he wasn't making any real progress), I think it's so important to have an open discussion with your speech therapist and developmental pediatrician about what is realistic for your child.

If I could do it again, my goal would be that my child spend the majority of his time in activities that bring him joy and where he can be successful.

My son couldn't be successful in speech.

But he was able to communicate more using sign language, pictures, voice technology and a computer. I think you need to assess, with the help of a professional, which mode of communication is most possible for your child, and make that the focus. As parents, we get too hung up on speech. If your child isn't making meaningful progress in that area, take another route!

Perhaps other readers can offer their suggestions? Thanks, Louise

2 comments:

Not sure whether this question Friday feature is a permanent one or not, but if it is, I'm wondering if you or any of your experts have any tips for parents with both typically-developing children and children with special needs. Particularly, I'm wondering to best support my daughters (who have very different abilities) in having a meaningful and equal sibling relationship.

Hi Felicity -- hope you checked out the answer we posted here: http://bloom-parentingkidswithdisabilities.blogspot.ca/2012/12/one-question-friday_14.html

Thanks for writing! (ps, my beloved aunt was named Felicity and I have always loved that name)