Tuesday, May 23, 2017

'When I'm swimming, I feel normal'

By Louise Kinross

Swim Team is a gorgeous documentary about a competitive New Jersey swim team made up largely of Latino and Asian youth with autism. It focuses on three of the team's stars as they prepare for competition. "I'm not like other teenagers," says one of these boys. "I'm autistic. When I'm swimming, I feel normal."

We also get to know the boys' parents, who talk about their experiences raising them and their frustration with a lack of school preparation and support as they enter adulthood.

The film was shown at Holland Bloorview a week ago as part of the ReelAbilities Film Festival.

I'm setting up an interview with director Laura Stolman. Stay tuned!

1 comments:

Inspiring video, swimmig is good both for physical and mental health. Thanks for sharing this video!