Thursday, May 10, 2012

The beauty of difference













Donna Thomson at The Political Caregiver posted this morning on a Ted Talk by fashion photographer Rick Guidotti, who travels the world showing the beauty in difference: From stigma to super model.

It began when Rick started photographing children with albinism, who had been shunned and teased because of their different appearance.

It grew into a project called Positive Exposure, which focuses on children and adults living with genetic conditions. Rick does photo shoots at annual support group conferences for children and adults affected by genetic conditions.

"Each individual living with a genetic difference desires to be viewed first and foremost as a human being," is his message.

I love this!

The organization also goes into public schools to educate students about our common humanity: The Pearls Project.

2 comments:

I love this post. I really would like to share it on my Facebook account (link back to your blog.) However, I don't see this capability on your blog.

I recently started a blog www.5standsofhope.com. Some of my Facebook friends with multiples, I believe, would be very interested in your blog.

Hi Laura -- I've just asked our web expert to add a share button on the blog -- hopefully we'll have it in the next day or two. I look forward to checking our your blog. Hope to see you here again!